Struggling to get back to the gym? You’re not alone. I have a confession to make. I have not been a regular gym go-er for about a year now and I have no fitness equipment in my home to speak of unless you count my husband’s rusty old man weights. All you fitness gurus are all probably rolling your eyes right now reading this, but it’s true. I just had to get that off my chest. Phew, I feel better already. I came to this revelation as I legit caught myself telling a lie…to myself. I said, “Self, it’s ok…you spent all of last year going to the gym like crazy getting ready for the wedding. You need a break.” That’s when I realized it is now 2018 and I got married… in 2016, therefore skipping an entire YEAR. Now, truth be told I did go a bit, but my attendance was spotty at best.
Some people HATE the gym. Their relationship with it is hate/hate and that’s all there is to it. Others have a love/hate relationship with the gym. They hate going but love how they feel afterwards. For me, it’s neither of those things. The gym is just there and clearly has not been a priority for me for quite some time. It’s really a mental thing. While there were some things my trainer forced me to do that I absolutely hated, mentally I felt better when I was regularly working out. But let me be clear. I wasn’t in a better mood or anything like that. It’s like the guilt of not going wasn’t there. So, what I should just say is that it’s a guilt thing. Probably deep seeded, Catholic guilt stemming from my childhood if I really dig deep. But that’s another story for another day.
I have gotten into this nasty habit of finding literally any excuse to avoid the gym at all costs. It’s not that I don’t want to put in the work per say, I would just rather being doing…anything else. Here are some of my most recent excuses:
- It’s below zero and dark outside. What if my car breaks down (my car is perfectly healthy) on the way and I’m stuck on the side of the road in the seedy part of town (my gym is not in a seedy part of town) at night, by myself? Yeah, not going.
- I can’t possibly work out when I’m this hungry. I better get some dinner first. [30 minutes later] I am SO full. I can’t possibly work out now. I might puke or get a stomach cramp. Yeah, not going.
- I need to clean my house for the party tonight. I would be so embarrassed if my friends saw my house like this. I don’t have time for the gym today. I need to clean…and cleaning is basically exercise right? Yeah, not going.
- I have a break in my day but I already showered and got ready. I don’t want to have to get ready again. Plus all that blow dryer time is really bad for your hair. Yeah, not going.
- I have got to get a pedicure! My winter feet have set in and it’s not pretty. I can’t possibly put sneakers on after getting my toes polished because it would ruin my pedi and be a total waste of money. And I can’t go after the gym because I wouldn’t want to offend the nice ladies with my gym smell. Yeah, not going.
- I better bend over in these pants to know if you can see through them. We do a lot of squats in that class and I am always in the front row. OMG you can see right THROUGH THEM. I must try on ALL of my gym pants immediately. How embarrassing. [45 minutes later…] Oh crap, class is starting now. Yeah, not going.
As you can see, I have gotten pretty creative. Now, I don’t practice unhealthy habits across the board. I get plenty of sleep, take vitamins, drink water like a camel and eat mostly healthy foods most days. I eat KALE for cryin’ out loud! I should get bonus points for kale. It’s actually quite tasty in pasta.
The thing is, I know the gym is good for me. I have read extensively about the benefits of exercise. I know I need to get back at it because it’s good for me. And I will. What I’m not going to do is beat myself up about it because that’s not going to change the last year. All of this to say, if you have been struggling to get back in the gym, you’re not alone. We all go through these times in our life and it’s not the end of the world. So stop fretting about it and just get back in there. Even if it’s just 2 days a week. 2 days a week is better than no days…
Below is a picture of me on a day when I chose to not hit the gym. Could of fooled you from my outfit choice though, couldn’t I?
PS: Whatever pills, potions or empty promises you’re peddling today, I’m not buying any.
See ya on the next post.
-The Chic(ish) Chick