These puff pastry brie bites are the perfect treat for Valentine’s Day. They are just as tasty as they are adorable. They’re filled with melty brie cheese, walnuts and hot honey. And, what’s not to love about puff pastry? These bites would make a great appetizer for a Galentine or Valentine’s Day brunch – or as a special treat for your sweetie.
Valentine’s Day Puff Pastry Brie Bites
- 1 Sheet puff pastry
- 1 package brie cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- hot honey to taste
- crushed red pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut 1 sheet of puff pastry into 12 even pieces, reserving 2 pieces for heart cut outs.
- Freeze brie for 15-20 minutes. Remove from freezer and cut into pieces. I used Supreme Brie Bites, which are individually sized. If using this particular brand, cut each brie round in half. If using another brand, simply cut the brie into pieces small enough for each puff pastry square.
- Place brie on each piece. Top brie with chopped walnuts, hot honey and crushed red pepper to taste.
- Top each square with more puff pasty so that there is a top and bottom piece of puff pastry with the brie and other toppings in between.
- Using a fork, press seams around the outside edge. Brush each with egg wash.
- Using a heart shaped cookie cutter, cut out 5 hearts. Place hearts on each piece that have already been brushed with egg wash. Brush each heart with egg wash as well. There will be 5 individual puff pastries at the end of this process. If desired, use the second sheet to make more.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 16-18 minutes or until golden brown and baked all the way through.
WHY FREEZE THE BRIE?
Brie is a soft cheese and can therefore be difficult to slice evenly. Freezing brie 15-20 minutes before slicing will make it much easier to slice into even pieces.
ALTERNATE BRIE BRANDS
For this recipe, I used Supreme Brie Bites. Supreme brie is absolutely delicious. If you can’t find the bites, you can use the full size version. However, any brand of brie that you like best will work for this recipe. If you have leftover, save for other recipes! Brie is also great served on a tasted baguette with a fig jam and prosciutto.
While I happen to love brie cheese (especially when baked in puff pastry dough) I know people who don’t particularly care for it. There are many ways to recreate this recipe and make it your own. I recently shared on my Instagram a recipe for a heart shaped raspberry tart. You could easily swap the brie filling for your favorite pie filling. Then, simply top each with some buttercream frosting. YUM!
If you want to go a savory route, I also shared a recipe for a savory heart tart. This version was filled with mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, garlic and basil. While very different flavors in comparison to the sweet version, it was equally as tasty.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH VALENTINE’S DAY PUFF PASTRY BRIE BITES
These Valentine’s Day puff pastry brie bites are perfect served alongside other appetizers or as a part of a brunch menu. They have a sweetness to them, so would be delicious with prosciutto or salami too. They pair nicely with egg dishes like scrambled eggs or a crustless quiche. Add a nice spinach salad, some fruit and you’ve got yourself a nice little brunch menu.
WHERE TO BUY HEART SHAPED COOKIE CUTTERS
Cookie cutters can be used to cut out shapes in all types of different foods. Anything from puff pastry to cheese to sandwiches and beyond. I use them all the time to help me get creative on cheese boards and in the kitchen in general. You can find my heart shaped cookie cutters and more here!
OTHER BRUNCH MENU OPTIONS
If you’re looking for other fun options for a Galentine’s or Valentine’s Day brunch or dinner, check out my berry cake tutorial. While the colors are perfect for Valentine’s Day, this cake would be great for Easter, Mother’s Day, Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day.
In search of a fun cocktail? This strawberry rhubarb mule is fabulous and perfect for Valentine’s Day and beyond!